Ear correction or Otoplasty is a procedure to change the shape, position, and size of the ears. Otoplasty is primarily done on both the ears to optimize symmetry. This procedure permanently fixes the issue of protruding ears and provides symmetry to the face. Ear-correction also corrects defects in the ear structure that is present during birth. Otoplasty can treat overly large ears or protruding ears on one or both sides of the face.
Types of ear surgery:
Ear surgery is of the following types:
- Microsurgery on the ear :
As there are very small structures inside the ears, the development of microsurgery has eased the performance of extensive surgery within the confined space. To remove small ear tumors, we use/suggest Microsurgery for eardrum repair.
- Laser surgery on the ear :
Laser surgery is a technique that replaces damaged ear bones. With the help of an incision, the instruments are inserted in the ear. A laser is then used to vaporize what is left of the damaged stirrup bone, anvil or hammer.
- Fitting a Cochlear implant: The surgery to fit a cochlear implant takes about 4 hours. This procedure is performed under local anesthesia. In this process, the processor is inserted into the skin. It is attached to the microphone and tiny micro-electrode arrays are linked to the processor.
- Eardrum reconstruction : Eardrum reconstruction is performed under anesthesia and requires the aid of a microscope. In the front and back of the ear, incisions are made which enables the surgeon to inspect the inner ear. A piece of tissue is taken from the back of the inner ear and at that times, a gelatin is inserted to anchor the graft.
Who can opt for ear correction?
Anyone can opt for ear correction if:
- You feel your ears stick out too far from the head
- The ears are disproportionately sized in accordance with the face
- You are not satisfied with the previous ear correction surgery
Otoplasty will be done at any age after the ears have been fully developed; usually after the aged of 5.
Kaayakalp has over the years evolved as the premier center for all surgeries. Dr. V.S Rathore and his highly competent team are adept in the procedure of ear correction in Kolkata. The high degree of expertise, technique, and dedication of the entire team has elevated Kaayakalp to become the best ear correction clinic in Kolkata.