Liposuction or lipoplasty is a type of surgical procedure that “sucks” or eliminates fat from the body.
Liposuction or lipoplasty is a type of surgical procedure that “sucks” or eliminates fat from the body. Most commonly, liposuction is performed on thighs, buttocks, neck, chin, upper and backs of the arms, back and calves.
A hollow instrument, called the cannula is inserted under the skin and the fat gets removed from the body. The cannula uses powerful and high pressure vacuum to “suck” the fat.
Of all the countries, liposuction is most widely performed in America and the United Kingdom.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is not a surgical procedure to get thin. Patients who undergo generally have a normal body weight. Liposuction is opted by them to eliminate undesirable fats from the body. Liposuction is not a remedy for obesity or an over-all weight loss method. Liposuction primarily renders aesthetic results i.e enhances the contour of the patient’s body. Liposuction miraculously removes the fat cells from the body permanently, thereby altering the shape of the body. It would be wrong to presume that the result of liposuction is everlasting with no effort of maintaining it. Fat cells can take a larger shape and grow more rapidly if adequate attention is not paid to the health of the body. It is crucial for every patient undergoing liposuction to retain a healthy lifestyle with adequate amount of exercise and proper diet.
What are the uses of liposuction?
The aim of liposuction is purely aesthetic. It is mainly performed to improve how a person looks, rather than providing any health benefits. According to the advice of the experts, liposuction is ideally suitable for those who did not achieve the desired results with a lifestyle change.
As weight increases, there is a corresponding increase in the size of the fat cells. Liposuction targets on reducing the number of these fat cells. The common areas of liposuction are:
- Upper arms
- Flanks (love handles)
- Inner knees
Who are the ideal candidates for liposuction?
Liposuction is a crucial surgical procedure as it directly targets at the fat cells of the body. If proper post- surgery care is not taken, results can get altered to one’s disadvantage. It is necessary to know whether liposuction is suitable for an individual or not. The ideal candidates for liposuction are:
- Ones who have good skin tone and elasticity
- Ones with good physical and mental health
- Ones not having circulation problems such as diabetes, artery disease or weak immune system
- Ones who are at least 18 years of age
Technology used behind Liposuction at Kaaykalp
To begin with, in the 90s liposuction was performed under general anesthesia with the help of a large cannula. Such a procedure was deterred by problems of blood loss, infection and asymmetry. Along with improving the techniques of liposuction, surgeons all across the globe have sought ways to upgrade the technology and instruments used during the liposuction surgery. Surgeons at Kaaykalp has maintained the global standards and use world–class technology and instruments for the procedure. Some of the high-end instruments used for liposuction at Kaayakalp are:
- Cannula: Continuous improvements to upgrade the cannula has evolved in the innovation of cannulas that are smaller and less traumatic. It yields smoother results and minimal scars.
- Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction (UAL): Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction (UAL) uses a specialized cannula that emits ultrasound vibrations. The vibrations liquefy the fat and aid in easier removal through suction.
- Power Assisted Liposuction (PAL): This utilizes a cannula that mechanically oscillates and removes the manual back and forth movement by the surgeon. This is essentially helpful in tissues that are fibrotic such as areas with scars.
- Laser Assisted Liposuction (SmartLipo): This technique uses smaller cannula with laser fibre. The laser fibre uses laser energy into the fat layer. The fat cells get melted easily and it is easier to remove via suction.
Kaayakalp is one of the best liposuction clinics in Kolkata. It is well equipped with the newest machines and technologies. Liposuction at Kaaykalp is done by one of the best cosmetic surgeons in Kolkata, Dr. Vikram Singh Rathore. The surgery approximately requires 30 minutes to 3 hours. The time is dependent on the amount of fat deposition in the body and the number of areas one has to work with. The team is adept with the procedure of cosmetic surgery. The expertise, dedication and professionalism of Kaaykalp has made it the primal focus of cosmetic surgery in Kolkata.